born December 20, 1982 in Warsaw
- Major in General Theology (2005-2012)
Master’s thesis in the field of sacred music entitled Passio Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Op. 65 Józef Elsner in the light of the Easter Triduum liturgy, written under the guidance of prof. dr hab. Jan Decyk, Faculty of Theology, Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University in Warsaw.
- Composition in the class of prof. dr hab. Paweł Łukaszewski (2013-2015)
Diploma: Awakening to the words of Fr. Jan Twardowski for solo soprano and baritone, mixed choir and orchestra (2015, ca. 30 ‚).
Premiere: Anna Mikołajczyk-Niewiedział – soprano, Artur Janda – baritone, Choir of the Warsaw-Prague Cathedral Musica Sacra prepared by Paweł Łukaszewski, Polish Radio Orchestra conducted by Michał Klauze, 100th anniversary of the birth of Fr. Jan Twardowski, The Royal Castle in Warsaw, May 31, 2015
Postgraduate Degree in Advanced Studies in Composition, Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Warsaw.
- Ecclesiastical Bachelor of Theological Sciences (2017)
Church Music, Faculty of Theology
Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow.
- Doctor of Theological Sciences (2022)
PhD thesis defended with honors.
Topic: Sacrum in the composition of the mass – searches and hopes. A liturgical and musical study.
Supervisor: Fr. prof. dr hab. Robert Tyrała
Reviewers: Fr. prof. dr hab. Ryszard Czekalski, Fr. dr hab. Sławomir Ropiak, prof. UWM
Faculty of Theology, June 28, 2022
Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow
Participation in courses | masterclasses:
- RISM – Muscat Introduction Course (03-07.08.2020)
RISM Senckenberganlage 31-33 D-60325 Frankfurt am Main
Moderator: Guido Kraus, Editor, RISM Zentralredaktion.
- Recording, Recording, Mixing, Mastering and Sound Design (2013-2015)
The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Warsaw
Moderator: Wojciech Błażejczyk.
- FMF Master Classes for Young Composers (09.2013)
Music workshops in the field of film music conducted by eminent authors from Hollywood.
Academy of Music in Krakow, Alvernia Studios, Małopolska Garden of Arts.
Participation in projects | grants:
- The Fryderyk Chopin Institute in Warsaw (10/01/2022 – 10/03/2022)
Specialist expertise of music sources by assigning digital copies of sources to metadata developed for them in the International Database of Music Sources (RISM) and technical quality control in the repository.
- The Fryderyk Chopin Institute in Warsaw, the Pontifical University of John Paul II, Archives and Library of the Krakow Cathedral Chapter (01/07/2020 – 31/12/2021) ZP / NIFC-27/2020
Substantive control of the editing consistency of files in XML and Humdrum format, and substantive revision of digitized music sources from the 16th to the 19th century – 2 parts.
- European Solidarity Corps, Foundation for the Support of Disabled People „Get out of the house” (07/05/2021)
Preparing an arrangement for the SATB mixed choir of a traditional song from Szalowa „Archangel” as part of the project „Melodies of our grandparents, or forgotten music and deserving a second life ”No. 2020-2-PL01-ESC31-082996.
- Creative scholarship for the project entitled „Cycle of 7 songs for soprano and piano to words by Roman Brandstaetter” (December 31, 2021) awarded by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, prof. dr hab. Piotr Gliński;
- Creative scholarship under the „Network Culture” program for the project entitled „Musical Biography of Karol Wojtyła” (May 2020) awarded by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, prof. dr hab. Piotr Gliński;
- Creative scholarship for composing work on the piece entitled „Magnificat” (February 28, 2020) awarded by the Fund for Supporting Creativity Andrzej Szczypiorski, ZAiKS Authors’ Association;
- Creative scholarship for composing work on the piece entitled „Carmen Propheti” (October 2, 2014) awarded by the Fund for the Promotion of Creativity Andrzej Szczypiorski, ZAiKS Authors’ Association.
- Award of the Rector of the Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow for the BEST DOCTORAL THESIS. Subject of the work: „Sacrum in the composition of the mass – searches and hopes. A Liturgical and Musical Study”. Promoter: Fr. prof. dr hab. Robert Tyrała. 08/12/2022 Krakow.
- First prize for the piece O orzchis Ecclesia to the words of St. Hildegard of Bingen for mixed choir, trumpet and organ (2020) during the 5th International Composers’ Competition Fide et amore, 13/11/2020 Katowice.
- Nomination for the FRYDERYK 2020 award in the „Contemporary Music Album of the Year” category for the album ŚPIEWAJMY – MŁODZI MŁODYM performed by the Polish National Youth Choir conducted by Agnieszka Franków-Żelazny. January 29, 2020 ZPAV.
- Award of the Association of Catholic Publishers FENIKS 2019 in the category „Christian music – classical” for the album PIE IESU performed by the Choir of the Warsaw-Prague Cathedral Musica Sacra conducted by Paweł Łukaszewski. 04/04/2019 SWK.
- Nomination for the FRYDERYK 2019 award in the „Contemporary Music Album of the Year” category for the album PIE IESU performed by the Choir of the Warsaw-Prague Cathedral Musica Sacra conducted by Paweł Łukaszewski. 01/02/2019 ZPAV.
- Inspirations in the composition of a sacred musical work in: Pro Musica Sacra. Journal of the Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow devoted to church music, edited by R. Tyrał, A. Zając, W. Delimat, E. Krupińska, D. Kusz. No. 18, 2020, pp. 37-45, ISSN 2083-4039.
- The cultural function of sacred music in the perspective of the integral development of the human person in: FIDES ET RATIO. For the sake of development. Integral approach. No. 2 (34) 2018, pp. 317-328, ISSN 2082-7067 FIDES ET RATIO UNIVERSITY SOCIETY.
- Man’s creative attitude towards the realization of his life vocation in: Pedagogical and catechetical Septuagint, ed. A. Walulik, J. Mółka, Wydawnictwo Akademia Ignatianum, WAM, Kraków 2017; pp. 225-237, ISBN 978-83-7614-335-4.
- The Power of Fate in selected pieces of passion by contemporary composers of sacred music. The personalistic perspective in: Man-Education-Society, editors: M. Gogolewska-Tośka, M. Szymańska, Publishing House of the Academy of Humanities A. Gieysztor, Pułtusk 2017; pp. 215-232, ISBN 978-83-7549-310-8.
- Mass as a genre of sacred music in the spiritual education of man. The personalistic perspective in: FIDES ET RATIO. Transgression and Transcendence. No. 2 (30) 2017, pp. 187-197, ISSN 2082-7067 FIDES ET RATIO UNIVERSITY SOCIETY.
- Paschal Motifs Passio Domini Nostri Jesu Christi op.65 by Józef Elsner in: Anniversary of the Word of the Cross 6 (2012), Department of Theology of the Cross and Passion Spirituality at the Pontifical Faculty of Theology, Warsaw 2012, pp. 240-250.
Presentations and readings:
Since 2011, the doctoral student has actively participated in 17 national and international (including foreign) scientific conferences as a speaker, member of the scientific committee and organizational by presenting issues related to the theology of music, contemporary sacred music and creativity, incl. in:
- University of Rzeszów (2021);
- University of Silesia in Katowice (2018);
- University of Budapest (2017);
- Akademia Ignatianum in Kraków (2017);
- The Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow (2011);
- Academy of Humanities. Aleksander Gieysztor in Pułtusk (2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019).
Composer of over 50 sacred works written on a diverse set of instruments, including great symphonic, vocal and instrumental forms; choral, orchestral and chamber music.
Full list of compositions:
Most important pieces (selected):
- A series of 7 songs to words by Roman Brandstaetter for soprano solo and piano (2022) [ca 40 ‚]
- Karol Wojtyła’s Musical Biography – a cycle of 3 songs for solo soprano, piano and tape (2020);
- Mass of Hope – Missa Spei for mixed choir and symphony orchestra (2017-2019);
- Anthem of the 5th Synod of the Tarnów Diocese (2017);
- Awakening to the words of Fr. Jan Twardowski for solo soprano and baritone, mixed choir and a symphony orchestra (2015);
- Septem Dolórum Beátæ Maríæ Vírginis for female vocal sextet, church bells and authorities (2017-2016);
- Passio Domini Nostri Jesu Christi for four solo voices, two choirs and symphony orchestra (2010);
- Intrads accompanying the unveiling and covering of miraculous images and figures in: Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorrows in Limanowa, Sanctuary of Lord’s Transfiguration in Krużlowa, Sanctuary of Our Lady of Łukawiecka.
Music publications (selected):
- O orzchis Ecclesia to the words of St. Hildegard of Bingen for mixed choir, trumpet and organ, Hildegardian Sariensia Studies 7 (2020);
- Sing to the words of St. Augustine of Hippo for mixed choir a cappella, Polskie Wydawnictwo Muzyczne (2020);
- Sing Poland! 30 songs for mixed choir, new arrangement of patriotic songs as part of the „Niepodległa” project, Polskie Wydawnictwo Muzyczne (2018-2019);
Music performances (selected):
- Philharmonic Karol Szymanowski in Kraków (2022, 2020);
Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul, Görlitz (Germany) (2022);
- Philharmonic Henryk Wieniawski in Lublin (2021);
- Wawel, Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus and St. Wenceslas in Kraków (2019);
- Église Saint-Maclou in Rouen (France) (2019);
- National Forum of Music in Wrocław NFM (2019);
- St. Stanisław Kostka in Łódź (2018);
- University of Michigan School of Music (USA) (2018);
- The Temple of Divine Providence in Warsaw (2016);
- Köthen (Germany) (2016);
- Alter Ratssaal, Baden-Baden (Germany) (2016);
- Kaliska Philharmonic (2016);
- The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Warsaw (2014);
- Baltic Philharmonic for them. Frederic Chopin in Gdańsk (2014);
- TVP1 Telewizja Polska in Warsaw (2009);
- Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw (2008);
- The Camaldolese Underground at the Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University in Warsaw (2008).
Artists performing the composer’s works (selected):
- soloists: Christian Krämer, Justin Snyder, Kai Schumacher, Marcin Łukaszewski, Anna Mikołajczyk-Niewiedział;
- conductors: Jan Łukaszewski, Agnieszka Franków-Żelazny, Paweł Łukaszewski, Michał Klauza, Bartosz Michałowski, Stanisław Strączek;
- ensembles: the Polish Chamber Choir, the Choir of the Warsaw-Prague Cathedral Musica Sacra, the Polish National Youth Choir, the Krakow Opera Choir, the Krakow Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra, the Border Guard Representative Orchestra, the Symphony Orchestra
© Sebastian Szymański 2023. All rights reserved.